Wednesday, August 22, 2007

So as I was looking around the internet to see what it had to offer on the subject of the pedagogy of play, I came across some familiar names. (Suspense, who could they be!) Here is the excerpt

Erin Smith, Michigan Technological University. “Semiotic Domains Reloaded: Literacy and Localization in Video Games.”

An excerpt from a longer work in a publcation edited by Cynthia Selfe and Gail Havisher, with chapters co-written by scholars and gamers. Gee’s What Video Games Have To Teach Us about Language and Learning presents literacy as a social practice. We need different literacies to function in different semiotic domains. Video games, for Gee, are marked with certain characteristics, shaped by the internal and external design grammar. Within the game world, learners test their cognitive models. Video games provide an environment that can foster active learning.

Score! I have actually met these people in real life. I didn't get autographs =/. Kudos to Erin, Cindy, and Gail. I don't believe I have met Gail, but I'm sure she's wonderful. If you want to take a look at the full article it can be found here http://jerz.setonhill.edu/weblog/permalink/4109/.

In further researching the subject, I need to examine the relationship of playing and gaming. Can one exist without the other?

No comments: